Refugees gather here!

Homepage Forums Sevilian Watering Hole Refugees gather here!

Viewing 62 posts - 1 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Miguel
    Keymaster

Made it across the gap… it’s a shame to see the old SB succumb to the spam, but I suppose it’s time to move on.

Johan do you have a VM of the really old SB kicking around somewhere? I think that would be interesting to watch the spambots try to post there…

NovaFlash
    Keymaster

Nah I don’t think I have anything from the ancient SB anymore, sorry.

I do still have a snapshot of Sev from like 2001 or so somewhere online. Perhaps I should put it online for nostalgia, but I dunno if John would be happy about it. I dunno, I never heard anything back from him when I asked about it. I see the site is down too, has been for a long time.

I guess I’ll just put the old thing back online, so we can at least still enjoy the comics. If John ever finds out and complains I’ll take it down.

Oh, I made you a keymaster or whatever in this new forum system so you can bug people and remove forum posts and stuff. The new smart captcha we have in place for user registrations should be enough to keep the spammers out, but you never know.

Muffy
    Participant

The hey-days were fun! I hope this new world gives us a new beginning!

Leander
    Participant

Well, this will take some time for me to get used to. Ah well, managed to sign up and get a temporary avatar/user image thingie whatsitcalled up there, so it can’t be all that bad.

*Waves and clouds*

Hi, everybody! 🙂

chimera
    Participant

Hi!

Apparently I move to fast for the board.

NovaFlash
    Keymaster

Move too fast? Did something go wrong?

Oh and hi, Natalie.

chimera
    Participant

Hello Johan!
    I think I tried to post two replies in too short a time. To.

NovaFlash
    Keymaster

Oh, yeah. It has a rate limiter to prevent disaster when a spambot does make it through the captcha and everything. One post every 100 seconds or so I think the limit is. I guess you were speeding; *gives you a ticket*

EofS
    Keymaster

Took me a while to decide which username to register with. Feels kind of weird to go back to EofS, but I couldn’t bring myself to register as EofW. Just felt wrong.

(This is not dissimilar to my attitude to changing my name in meatspace – I’ve been patchy, to say the least.)

NovaFlash
    Keymaster

You could have gone for E, that would make things a lot easier. 😉

EofS
    Keymaster

Yeah, but that’s not my full name. That would be like putting just Emma on my passport.

I need to make my av properly at some point – I couldn’t just screenshot my old coloured name because apparently at some point in the “trying to get E able to log back into her account so she can delete spam” process we changed my username to admin so now all my old posts show under that name! EofS has ceased to be on that board. (I mean, I’d changed to EofW 19 months ago of course. But the old posts have lost my name.)

NovaFlash
    Keymaster

Try this one;
    ha

EofS
    Keymaster

Apparently I’m a detective in Puerto Rico:

I do like detectoring. One of my favourite things at work is when I get to play Hetty Wainthropp with a bit of footage. (I say favourite, I really shouldn’t have to do it so in a way it’s really annoying, but it’s also satisfying when I am successful.)

Eri
    Participant

Wow! Hello everyone! This is weird but I’m sure we’ll all get used to it. Happy new year to all 🙂

Leander
    Participant

Hi! Happy New Year!

Participant

“Open the pod bay doors Hal.”

“I’m sorry Dave, I cannot do that!”

“Why not, Hal?”

“You’ve been seeing other spaceships!”

Hi everyone. Long time no Sev see!

Participant

Johan, in terms of any ‘old’ Sev look, do you not have the version of Sev you uploaded to my work laptop for SevCon 2002 in MK? That was a copy of the whole site that we could run remotely as a demo, right?

NovaFlash
    Keymaster

Well, did you click the ‘Sev Archive’ link yet? Because that, as far as I know, is the old sev look. Or was there even older? I forget.

I don’t have an older copy than that one, in any case.

Participant

About spambots – I had an amusing encounter with one on Skype recently. ‘She’ was pretending to be 24/f – so I pretended to be 34 and a lesbian. ‘She’ told me ‘she’ was a horny US college girl at home for the summer. I replied, “Summer? It’s January, you moron.” No reply. I’m heartbroken………

Participant

Johan, I think that look was just about the last version I saw of Sev. There was a look and feel before that one, which is the one we demoed at SevCon.

By the way, guys, I found all the pics from that on my laptop when cleaning it up. I should post a few 😀

Participant

Participant

Roll call!!!!!

I am back row, centre position. Who esle? 🙂 Oh and the camera? I have nooooo idea. I think it was scanned in using a potato.

NovaFlash
    Keymaster

I think I’m second from the right, back row. The guy that wouldn’t stop trying to kill people is all the way on the right.

EofS
    Keymaster

That must be from the Friday night, which would narrow down who can have taken the pic a lot. In fact, looking at who’s there… Was it taken by a randomer perhaps, that someone gave the camera to?

That feels like a very long time ago. Wanna know something cool? 4 of the people in that pic were at my wedding. (Admittedly I’m counting the groom amongst them. He looks so gaunt skinny freakish young.)

I can name everyone in the pic if that helps, but I don’t want to ruin the fun if people want to guess…

Little green man
    Participant

Ok, I wasn’t there but I’d say that it’s

Front row – nemi, woohoo, trideos, species 125
    Back row – great wizard, …don’t know…, 247, dummy, Miguel?

Participant

Emma – yes, random photographer iirc. I have so many other better pics of Guido looking gaunt skinny freakish young if you want them 😀

Sean – 6 of 9 (no, that’s not a new character) – see me after class.

Leander
    Participant

6 of 9? Not 5618? Or am I mixing things up? Probably, I’m not good at names.

Participant

Leander, I meant that Sean scored 6 out of a possible maximum 9 🙂

Leander
    Participant

Whoops, and there I was wondering since when Seven of Nine had a younger brother or sister. 😛

Participant

7 of 9 – you know, I never really saw the appeal.

Kes on the other hand……..in leather……….narf………..

Leander
    Participant

I suppose it helped a bit with the ratings, but sometimes it was a bit too much focussing on becoming an individual versus being a part in a larger collective thingie. A bit like the moments in TNG about Data trying to become more human.

Dunno if I’d prefer Kes or 7 in the show, though kes’ voiche was a bit lower pitched and softer. I’d have to see the series again to decide. Purely for research purposes, of course!

“Mmmmmmm, science! Aaaarghlll.” [/Homer]

Miguel
    Keymaster

Sadly this photo was taken the night before EofS and I arrived, so not me on the right!

Can name all (since I was there!), not many left here regularly though. Nemi’s still around on the board occasionally, will prod her this way.

EofS
    Keymaster

I have so many other better pics of Guido looking gaunt skinny freakish young if you want them 😀

Yes ja oui jo sí! There are not enough ways to say yes to indicate how much I would like them.

NovaFlash
    Keymaster

I forgot the name of the guy that wanted to kill everyone all the time, all the way on the right. Can anyone remember?

Doctor Jonas
    Participant

That was me.

No, not really. Wish I could have been there.

Participant

It was Agent-D. He camped in a tent on the lawn outside the front door at Tickford Abbey. IIRC he soon afterwards rather unceremoniously parted company with Sev altogether after some kind of altercation on the old SB…….

NovaFlash
    Keymaster

He was a little too kill-happy to me, to be honest. Agent D.. hm. I should know that but I still don’t quite recall. Oh well. Memory goes with age!

Anyways, glad to see there are still some people around that drop in, even if very irregularly, just to keep in touch. We’re already more like 15 years on from when Sev was at its height, and maybe in another 15 years we’ll still drop in occasionally to keep in touch. It’s a small world.

EofS
    Keymaster

That picture made me realise that about a month ago I passed the point where I’ve been in Sev for half my life. I joined in January 99, a couple of months shy of my 15th birthday. Now I’m a couple of months shy of my 30th.

Similarly, when the Sev Trek Movie was released and Guido <strike>totally accidentally</strike> was the first to order, I grumbled that I had been online at that same time (before school) but couldn’t order until later because I needed my dad’s credit card. Guido pointed out he was old enough to be in control of his own finances, I pointed out that I was young enough to be in control of my bowels.

In a few months I will be the age he was at that time. Perhaps I should stock up on Tena Lady. (And start looking into retirement homes for him *looks innocent*)

Participant

Haha I remember that night Emma – I was cursing my slow internet connection and German efficiency 😉

Johan, that’s the thing I like most about our merry bunch – time might pass but friendships remain (I hope!)

EofS
    Keymaster

Oh but he sweeears it was accidental.

Oh well, we’re married now. His print stating he was first is now my print too. I mean, it’s an extreme length to go to just for the bragging rights and it’s taken me over a decade but at last my quest is complete!

Participant

Um, only HALF of it is yours, although you do have a reasonable shout at taking part of his pension along with it…….

EofS
    Keymaster

I’ll take the half which has the 1 on it then.

Nemesis
    Participant

The Great Wizard, 5618, twofoursev, Dave
    me, WooHoo, Trideos, Whitestar8472

Nemesis
    Participant

Why can’t I edit?

Nemesis
    Participant

Fine, I’ll just repost then. 😛

The Great Wizard, 5618, twofoursev, [sev]dummy, Dave
    me, WooHoo, Trideos, Whitestar8472

No preview option either…. hm. There’s a lot of work to be done here.

Participant

Did you want to put an apostrophe in the avatar so as to make it grammatically correct? You can’t 😀

Nemesis
    Participant

Well I didn’t make it and I don’t know who did, but maybe I can edit it if I install ps or something. Except there’s no room for that because of Steam sales.
    Boo, I was trying to be clever and I failed to remember Wizzard with two z and that dummy was NovaFlash before even though he’s using it again now. The one who left Sev doesn’t get to keep his nickname though. All coloured names must be checked at the exit.

Participant

Well, I bought a new mac recently and the Sev symbol key is missing 🙁

NovaFlash
    Keymaster

Everybody’s a critic.

And I don’t know why editing won’t work on replies. Works on topic. Probably a bug in bbpress, the software I used to slap this thing together. Just be careful what you post 😛

AdmiralMemo
    Participant

Do I count as a refugee?

Thomas
    Participant

Oh. My. God.
    You guys are still alive after all these years 🙂

I just felt like digging up the past, fired up my old IRC client to see if the chat still existed, and the server came up as nonexistent. A little more digging found me the old forums, or should I say the brand new one 🙂

Is everyone from the old voting days still around?

EofS
    Keymaster

Well, define everyone and define old ;0) I’m far too young to have been an Old Fart, and yet I ventured onto the SB 14 years ago.

The Great Wizzard’s not on the board any more (hasn’t been for many years) but I’ve married him, so I keep him filled in on the gossip.

Thomas
    Participant

Heh. Let’s define “everyone” as “those who (at least semi-) regularly showed up in the irc channel on friday(/saturday) for the voting sessions.
    I swear the only name I can remember right now is EofPi, or something along those lines; but it has been years, and I never showed up on the forums, I found the style lacking in overview.

Impromptu notice: I just happen to pass by London next week, so if anyone is from that area I’m not against a quick meetup 🙂

Thomas
    Participant

Oh, and just for the record, I *think* my nickname back in the day was CptThomas, but since it’s been so long and I rarely used that name elsewhere, I dropped the Cpt part.

EofS
    Keymaster

e of Pi was a very different person to me, heh. Although we did used to get mixed up – not least because he was known as e and I was E. I was very active in the judging sessions, ran more than a few of them, but only from 2001 onwards.

I certainly remember you with the Cpt in front of your name. Nice to see you again, how’s things? Whatcha doing in London?

Thomas
    Participant

I ran into an old friend who remembered me telling him about the judging and brought it up, so I suddenly felt nostalgic and tried to find the old channel. Couldn’t find it, but I did run into the forums, which just got a new lick of paint from the looks of it 🙂

I was kinda arranging a last-minute trip to London just for fun, since I have a week off, and there just happened to be a little band playing that I wanted to see for a while, so I just had this “eff it, let’s do this” moment, et voila 🙂
    Since I’ve never been there, it should be fun.

Were you the person who worked in broadcasting? It’s been so vague; I’m sure I still have some old logs lying around somewhere, but for the life of me I don’t know where 🙂

Corsair
    Participant

Hi ! Ok, I’ve made it too, nothing like a NovaFlash joint to hang around in.

NovaFlash
    Keymaster

Uh-oh. Two more have found their way. Life as we know it, is over!

Muffy
    Participant

I remember running judging sessions way back when. My favorite was the first time I did it. Dummy was helping me, so I could learn, and the first thing he did was delete all the punchlines. Haha.

Thomas
    Participant

Heh, I think I remember that particular day 🙂

jordi
    Participant

Better late than never eh?

AdmiralMemo
    Participant

Whoever was running the Sevilia NationStates account, your Nation has expired. I suggest you log back in soon. (I think this was Nemi running it, IIRC.)

Viewing 62 posts - 1 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.